Optical networks are high-capacity telecommunications networks based on optical technologies and components that provide services such as routing, grooming, and restoration at the wavelength level and also wavelength-based services. The primary solution to linking high-speed LAN and WAN networks within and among buildings is fiber-optic systems. The numbers of high-speed networking applications which uses fiber as the primary components continue to grow, such as:
- Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI), running at 100Mbps
- Synchronous Optical Network (SONET), running at 155Mbps and 622Mbps
- ESCON, running at 200Mbps
- Gigabit Ethernet, running at 1,000Mbps and 10 Gigabit Ethernet running at 10,000Mbps
- Fibre Channel, running at 1,062Mbps and below
- High-Performance Parallel Interface (HIPPI), running at 1,200Mbps.
Network management of optical network is very crucial where its system must manage the overall network architecture and monitor signal performance for each wavelength. Other than that,it must also assist providers in troubleshooting the network by isolating the questionable wavelengths and the its possible location of degradation.
SNS Network provide and manage this new network services to customers effectively and efficiently.